And Bria chimed in "But you've got MOMMYBRAIN!" (which has been a running joke between us)
I found myself countering "Believe it or not, my brain worked pretty good before you kids came along!"
Truth is... more often than not I DO have "Mommybrain"!
- Like when I set my cup of coffee down, decaf of course, and turn around forgetting where I put it
- Or the other day when I couldn't find the On/Off switch to the computer terminal I was using! (that was embarassing!)
- Or when I left the diet coke in the bottom of the cart at Target and drove off without it
- Or when Emelie asked how to turn the treadmill on and I drew a complete blank (OK, maybe THAT was because I hadn't used the treadmill in years...)
But the list could go on.. and on...
You've seen that email joke where the woman walks from room to room attempting to clean and straighten but continually gets distracted by more projects and things that need to be cleaned and straightened until the day is gone and she's come full circle; no closer to being finished than when she'd started?
Well, I'm convinced they were following me around when they wrote that. Only I'm NOT old! I'm just sleep deprived; and overworked; and suffering from too much multi-tasking -- in a word: "Mommybrain"!
I was telling a friend at work about it and she said, "'Mommybrain', is that bad?" (she has no kids)
So I googled it. And guess what I found? It IS a real term, someone wrote a book about it and there is a website called "www.themommybrain.com"! Even better, it's not supposed to be so bad... motherhood is supposed to make you smarter or more creative or a better problem solver or something. (I guess I'll have to read the book )
Ha! Who knew?!
6 comments:
BTW... I read more about the book on the website and found even more good news! The "mommybrain" benefits appear to be related to caring for a child more so than the biology of giving birth to a child!!
"...The last chapters reveal how fathers, adoptive parents and altruists share in many "Mommy Brain" benefits, and shows how motherhood in the 21st century has become a particularly brain-intensive job."
I think I'm gonna add this book to my must read list. :-)
Yes. Mommybrain. Unfortunately, I suffer from the negative effects of mommybrain. I have yet to see the positive ones!
Oh boy, can I relate to Mommy Brain!! I had two mothers tell me when I was pregnant that after I had the baby, my memory would be terrible. Well, they were right. If I don't write it down, I forget about it completely!
Laura
Hey Laura & Eve,
I live by my ToDo lists! Chris teases me that I have lists of ToDo lists... haha (I only do that sometimes)
I think it's the multitasking that trips us up. But how else are we going to get everything done?
So does Chris have Daddy brain?
Ha! Sometimes... though he would never admit it ;-)
Post a Comment